Historian Paul W. Schopp to speak on Camden & Amboy Railroad, New Jersey’s first rail line, on October 24.
For more information contact Varissa McMickens-Blair, Roebling Museum, 609/499-7200
ROEBLING, N.J. – Take a ride through history on the Camden & Amboy Railroad, New Jersey’s first rail line
Historian Paul W. Schopp, an expert in South Jersey transportation history, will give a talk on the Camden & Amboy at the Roebling Museum on Saturday October 24 at 1 p.m. in the Museum’s Investors Bank Media Room.
Founded by steamboat builder Robert Stevens, the Camden & Amboy was chartered in 1830 – only the third rail line in the United States – and opened in 1832 and eventually ran from South Amboy to Camden, incorporating what is now the route of the River Line light rail.
Stevens was an innovator in transportation integration – linking boat and train routes to move passengers from New York to Philadelphia – and in rail safety. The T-shaped iron rails of the Camden & Amboy became the industry standard.
The C&A’s route from Trenton through Burlington County drew the John A. Roebling’s Sons Company to buy farmland in the hamlet of Kinkora for a new steel and wire mill built in 1905. There the Roeblings built steel and wire mills that produced wire for the great suspension bridges of the 20th century, the George Washington and the Golden Gate.
Paul Schopp is senior historian at AECOM, a global engineering design firm, and a former executive director of the Camden County Historical Society.
Tickets for “The Camden & Amboy Railroad: A Ride into History’’ are $6 for adults and children over 12, $5 for seniors, free for Museum members. Ticket price includes Museum admission. Seating is limited: to reserve a place call the museum at 609/499-7200.
About the Roebling Museum:
Opened in 2010, the Roebling Museum is an industrial history museum focusing on the engineering innovations of John A. Roebling, designer of the Brooklyn Bridge; the wire rope industry he founded; and the history of the company town of Roebling. The Museum is located in the former gatehouse of the John A. Roebling’s Sons Company steel and wire mill, which produced and erected the cable for the Golden Gate Bridge and the George Washington Bridge.
Roebling Museum programming include a summer STEM camp for middle schoolers, Kids Create! engineering workshops, exhibits and public lectures.
Getting here: The Museum is located at 100 Second Avenue in Roebling, easily accessible from I-295 or Exit 6 of the New Jersey Turnpike. There is ample parking in the Museum lot off Hornberger Avenue. The Museum is immediately across Hornberger Ave. from the Roebling River Line stop.
The Roebling Museum is a 501c3 nonprofit and receives an operating support grant from the New Jersey Historical Commission.