Princeton Police Blotter: Fire at Griggs Farm, Robbery on Hulfish, Forgery

Firefighters put out a fire in the living room of a Griggs Farm condo Thursday night. Photo: Seth Callen.
Firefighters put out a fire in the living room of a Griggs Farm condo Thursday. Photo: Seth Callen.

A fire broke out on the second floor of a condominium at Griggs Farm Thursday night just after 8 p.m. Firefighters were able to quickly put out the fire on the 200 block of William Livingston Court and there were no injuries. The cause of the fire was not immediately known and the fire is still under investigation.

Eighteen handbags valued at more than $45,000 were stolen from a store on the first block of Hulfish Street around 11 a.m. on May 15, police said. The manager of a store told police the thieves fled on foot after threatening to harm the store employees if they did not cooperate. The suspects are described as three black males, all approximately 6-foot tall and 20 to 30 years old.

A  Toyota driven by Christian Giles, 17, of Princeton rear-ended at Toyota driven by Elizabeth Socolow, 72, of Lawrenceville, near the intersection of Walnut Lane just before 6 p.m. on May 13. Socolow complained of neck pain and was transported to the University Medical Center of Princeton at Plainsboro for treatment. Giles was issued a summons for careless driving.

An employee of CVS reported to police that someone had stolen items from the store just before noon on May 13. The suspect is described as a white male, 20 to 30, with short brown hair, a medium build, approx. 5’10” tall, wearing a dark long sleeved t-shirt and blue jeans. The exact amount of the theft was unknown at the time of the report.

A resident of Griggs Drive reported to police on May 13 that over the past 18 months,  an acquaintance forged her name on several checks. The total amount of the fraud is more than $80,000. Detectives are investigating the incident.

A resident of the first block of Hillside Road reported to police that some time between 8:30 a.m. and 4 p.m.  on May 13th, someone broke in to their home by forcing open a rear door. At the time of the police report it was unknown if anything had been taken from the residence.