Are you taking public transit to get away for the Labor Day weekend? If so, here are links to schedules and some tips from Clever Commute, the New Jersey-based creator of the free app that gives commuters the real-time scoop about transit issues from fellow commuters.
Clever Commute’s SIX T’s” for a stress-free commute on getaway day Friday:
1. Technology – Think and plan now. Update your apps, load your e-Reader, charge your headphones, curate your playlist, charge your device and consider a portable charger. These simple things can greatly reduce stress.
2. Tickets – tickets..tickets. Get them early! If you or your traveling companion will need a ticket, get it before Friday afternoon. Lines are long on getaway days. Idea: LIRR, Metro North, NJ Transit and NY Waterway all have ticket apps!
3. Timing is crucial – Add some padding to your schedule to be safe. Last year on the Friday before Labor Day, the Metro North line had an event free afternoon. But NJ Transit and the Long Island Rail Road experienced major delays after 1 p.m. NJ Transit issued about 50 alerts throughout the evening rush. More than 20 trains were announced as cancelled. Engineer and equipment availability were cited as the causes, according to data from Clever Commute.
4. Timetables and Schedule changes – LIRR, Metro North and NJ Transit will provide (extra) getaway day service…but all 3 have date-specific trip planners on their sites.
5. Terminal – Choose wisely. If it is at all within your control, avoid NY Penn Station. NJ Transit riders: consider Hoboken and/or Newark Penn. LIRR riders: consider Atlantic Terminal or Hunterspoint Avenue.
6. Other Tips – Dress in layers – the terminal or the trains can be warm. Bring water and snacks. It saves time and money. Plan ahead. “Baggage strategy” matters. There is going to be lots of luggage around on Friday. Pick and pack your bag early and lightly.
Make your plans now…Don’t wait until Friday morning to start thinking about all of this.