| |

State will give Mercer and 11 other counties COVID-19 funding totaling about $37 million

The state will give twelve counties in New Jersey that were not eligible for funding through the federal CARES Act a total of about $37 million to combat the COVID-19 pandemic.

Counties include Mercer, Atlantic, Burlington, Cape May, Cumberland, Gloucester, Hunterdon, Morris, Salem, Somerset, Sussex, and Warren. The counties were ineligible for federal coronavirus relief funding because their populations are below 500,000.

“Covid-19 knows no borders and our small towns have borne an incredible financial burden to keep us safe,” Congressman Tom Malinowski said of the funding. “This CARES Act funding will deliver the direct relief they need to continue providing vital public services. I continue to fight in Congress for additional state and local funding to support communities across our district.”

Congresswoman Bonnie Watson Coleman said the funding will allow the counties to begin the process of economic recovery and prepare for any future waves of COVID-19. “New Jersey was one of the hardest-hit areas in the world,” she said. “No corner of the state went untouched by Covid-19.”

The first portion of funding, about $15 million in total, will provide the counties with reimbursements for COVID-19 related expenses to date. The money represents 25 percent of the county cost-share, with FEMA paying the remaining 75 percent, as well as other eligible coronavirus relief fund expenses. The funds will be made available to the counties after they sign a memorandum of understanding and provide the state with proper expenditure documentation. The second portion of the funding will help counties set up and maintain COVID-19 testing sites. All 12 counties will receive $357,500 each for that purpose.

A final allotment is based on population. Each county will receive funds from the CDC to support ongoing testing of vulnerable and high-risk populations. Counties will receive the funding only after submitting a testing plan that is approved by the New Jersey Department of Health. The total for this portion of funding is $17 million.

Funding by county
Morris – $7,091,913
Somerset – $5,429,286
Mercer – $4,031,833
Burlington – $3,554,510
Gloucester – $3,200,211
Atlantic – $3,106,416
Cape May – $2,704,767
Cumberland – $1,816,581
Sussex – $1,809,001
Salem – $1,445,157
Warren – $1,381,640
Hunterdon – $1,321,016

A detailed breakdown of each portion of funding per county can be found on the state website.