A special COVID-19 vaccination clinic will be held for children 6 months to 5 years old on Thursday, June 30, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the CURE Insurance Arena in Trenton. The clinic is sponsored by the Mercer County Division of Public Health.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention now recommends vaccinating all children in this age group with the Moderna or Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine.
Changes have been made to the county vaccination site to accommodate young children, infants, parents, and guardians to make sure they are comfortable, officials said. Children will be offered teddy bears and backpacks. Privacy areas will also be provided for nursing mothers.
Parents may choose which vaccine they would like for their children. The vaccine made by Moderna for 6-month-olds to 5-year-olds is a two-dose series, given four weeks apart. The Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine for 6-month-olds to 4-year-olds is a three-dose series. The first two shots are given three weeks apart, and the third one eight weeks after the second shot.
When you arrive at the Cure Arena site at 81 Hamilton Avenue, enter the arena at Gate A.
Officials offered the following tips:
• Anticipate that you will spend at least 30 minutes at the vaccine clinic site.
• It is not recommended to give pain relievers before vaccination to prevent side effects.
• Be ready to support your child during the vaccine visit. Pack your child’s favorite toy, book, or blanket to comfort him or her during vaccinations.
• Tell the doctor or nurse about any allergies your child may have.
• After your child’s vaccination, you will be asked to stay for 15 to 30 minutes so your child can be observed in case of severe allergic reaction and immediate treatment.
• Wear a mask that covers your nose and mouth.
• Stay 6 feet away from others while inside and in lines.
• A COVID-19 fact sheet specific to your vaccine will be available at the clinic, and staff will be available to answer any questions that you may have.
• Bring a baby bottle or drinking cup for your child. For breast-feeding moms, privacy screening will be available.