Princeton Police: Tossed Cigarette Caused Fire

Firefighters work to put out a fire on Moore Street this afternoon. Photo by Seth Callen.

A house on the 100 block of Moore Street caught on fire this afternoon after a resident accidentally discarded an unextinguished cigarette on a pile of dry leaves and a plastic rain diverter, police said.  The lit cigarette ignited the dry leaves and the plastic rain diverter, which caused a fire that spread to the outer exterior wall and deck area of the house, police said.

The Princeton Borough Police Department received a call about the fire from the resident shortly after noon today. The resident reported that the back of the house was on fire.

Patrols arrived at 12:43 p.m. and found that all the residents had evacuated and the rear of the house was engulfed in flames. A truck from the Princeton Fire Department arrived a 12:50 p.m. Several fire departments helped out at the scene, including Rocky Hill, Plainsboro, Princeton Plasma Physics, Kingston, South Brunswick, and Princeton Junction. A total of approximately 60 fire personnel and approximately six emergency medical technicians responded to the emergency. The fire was brought under control at 1:35 p.m., police said.

Please share your thoughts on this story.

1 comment
  • My husband’s office is on Nassau Street and Moore, so I was especially interested in this fire. Thank you for letting us know what happened and that is has been taken care of. I really appreciate it.

Join Our Orbit

%d bloggers like this: