Bayard Lane Fire in Princeton Started in Basement

Firefighters were at 56 Bayard Lane for more than two hours last night.

A fire broke out just before 11 p.m. Sunday night in the basement of 56 Bayard Lane.  When emergency responders arrived on the scene, they evacuated the building and the adjoining building, 6 Hodge Road. Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire, which was determined to have started after embers from a fire in the fireplace had dropped into an ash cleanout bin in the basement.

56 Bayard Lane and 6 Hodge Road are adjoined condos.

No injuries were reported.

The residence at 56 Bayard was deemed uninhabitable by the Princeton Bureau of Fire Safety. The occupants at 6 Hodge Road were allowed back into the home after the fire was extinguished. Route 206 between Nassau Street and Hodge Road was closed for more than two hours.

Additional assistance fighting the fire was rendered by Plasma Physics FD Station 66, Kingston FD Station 24, Rocky Hill FD Station 53, Plainsboro FD Station 49, Princeton Junction FD Station 44, the Princeton First Aid and Rescue and the New Jersey Fire Police.