Today just after 4 p.m., an electrical contractor struck a gas line while using a trenching machine on the lawn of a residence on the 100 block of Sycamore Road, police said.
The trenching machine caused the gas line to spark and catch fire. Princeton police officers, the Princeton Fire Department, and the Princeton First Aid and Rescue Squad responded to the residence. The gas fire did not threaten any nearby homes and no evacuations were necessary. The homeowner on Sycamore Road was at home at the time of the incident.
PSE&G responded to the scene and at 4:23 p.m. and shut off the gas line, extinguishing the fire.
No injuries were reported at the scene. The resident’s backyard fence was damaged.