South Brunswick Police Arrest Suspect in Attempted Robbery of Route 1 Restaurant


A Monmouth Junction resident has been arrested for the attempted armed robbery of a Route 1 restaurant last week.

South Brunswick Police Chief Raymond Hayducka said Chester Anderson, 40, of Monmouth Junction surrendered at South Brunswick Police Headquarters Tuesday afternoon. Anderson was aware police had been looking for him in connection with the robbery since late last week.

The break in the case came after news reports posted the surveillance video from the restaurant showing the armed robber battling a customer. Several callers identified Anderson within hours of the video airing on television news and news websites.

The attempted robbery on Route 1 in South Brunswick was caught on video.
The attempted robbery on Route 1 in South Brunswick was caught on video.

“The brazen nature of this armed robbery attempt left many in the community unnerved. We dedicated significant personnel to identifying and tracking down the suspect responsible. Less than a week after the armed robbery attempt, we have a suspect in custody,” Hayducka said. “The arrest highlights our relationship with the community and media. We released the surveillance video to the media, and within hours of them showing the video, tips came in identifying the suspect. Mr. Anderson became aware we were tracking him and attempting to take him into custody and decided to surrender.”

The incident took place Aug, 26th at the Kapadokya Mediterranean Grill at 4049 Route 1. In the robbery attempt, Anderson is seen with a knife, struggling with a customer. The customer deflected the robber with his motorcycle helmet. There were no injuries, and Anderson left with no money.

Anderson has been charged with robbery and is being lodged in the Middlesex County Correction Center on $100,000 bail.


  1. Bravo to the man who took on the incompetent robber. He’s a hero but on the other hand he took a great risk because the perpetrator may have had a gun.

  2. Wow! I had lunch there just the week before this happened. I am glad the alleged perpetrator is in custody.

Comments are closed.